Direct Care Staff
Job Title: Direct Care Staff
Reports To: Direct Care Superviser
Employment Status: Hourly; Non-Exempt
The Fred and Clara Eckert Foundation for Children is a private operating foundation whose primary charitable purpose is operating Eckert Youth Homes in Williston, North Dakota. Eckert Youth Homes provides quality substance abuse treatment services which encourage the spiritual, educational, behavioral, emotional, and physical development of children, youth and their families. Eckert's core values are Faith, Integrity, Excellence, and Caring.
Direct Care Staff are responsible for the ongoing monitoring of all adolescents receiving services at Eckert. Direct Care staff shall familiarize themselves with Trauma Informed and Restorative Approach care for providing care to the youth. This will be completed by taking the Trauma Informed Care Orientation within 30 days of start date and then latter followed with Restorative Approach and Risking Connections Training. The Confidentiality of each youth is imperative. Initial training on confidentiality and 42 CFR Part 2 will be review by reading policies at orientation and then by participating in training within the first 30 days of employment.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Daily responsibilities will include teaching living skills, mentoring, supervising resident's behaviors, participate in recreational activities and programing with youth, assisting with homework, resolving conflicts, role modeling positive behaviors and coping strategies, and assisting in progress towards treatment plans.
- Staff are responsible for the ongoing audible and visual monitoring of all youth in the home. During the day shift this will occur during any time that treatment programing is not taking place; during the evening shift this could include taking the youth to off campus programing; during the night shift this will include bed checks every 30 minutes unless there is a youth on a Safety Plan which could require increased random bed checks every 15 minutes.
- Document information required for each child, such as number and time of checks, behavior, and sleep patterns in our electronic health record.
- Meal preparations according to meal calendar.
- Certified Medication Assistants (CMA) will dispense and document prescription medication administered to residents, as required; other staff may be needed to dispense Over the Counter medications as needed.
- Be able to identify emergencies and proceed according to established policies and procedures.
- Prepare incident reports according to the policy and procedure as necessary.
- Housekeeping tasks including but not limited to; common area bathrooms shall be cleaned each night, dishes shall be completed each night; input daily log information into the electronic health record, assist with other duties such as filing, shredding, baking, housekeeping, etc.
- Complete any assignments identified at pass down such as set alarm, disengage alarm,
- Work with a team of people who are charged with the spiritual, educational, behavioral, emotional and physical development of the children and youth in Eckert’s care
- Attend all required training, with a minimum of 20 hours of training per year
There is no supervisory responsibility in this position.
This job is performed in two residential style homes for treatment of adolescents with substance abuse disorders. Youth may come from a background that includes trauma which my result in behaviors that include physically acting out and discourteous language. This position involves
frequent movement throughout a two-story home.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; and occasionally carry items weighing less than 50 pounds. The employee may also be required to participate in activities with the youth such as basketball, walking and exercising. The employee will be required to walk up and down stairs frequently.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. There are 3 shifts, day shift shall be from 7:30 am to 3:30 pm; evening shift shall be from 3:30 pm to 11:30 pm and night shift shall be from 11:30 pm to 7:30 am. Eckert operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Travel is not required for this position.
- Have a Bachelor’s Degree or higher or an Associate’s Degree plus 5 years of comparable work history;
- Be 21 years of age or older;
- Good verbal and written communication skills;
- The personal characteristics and experience to collaborate with and provide appropriate care to residents, gain their respect, guide their development, and participate in their overall treatment program; The ability to work effectively with the treatment team and other stakeholders;
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office products and the ability to learn our electronic health record program and intermediate to advanced level of computer skills;
- Ability to pass an employee physical, criminal background check, TB screening and drug screen.
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Have no child abuse or child neglect charges
- Individuals most likely to succeed in this position generally possess the following personal characteristics:
- Attention to detail
- Commitment to complete tasks correctly and on time
- Strong sense of duty
- Act in accordance with rules, laws, policies, and procedures and expects others to do the same
- Commitment to obligations
- Somewhat faster than average pace
- Steady persistence in a course of action
- High standards of quality and accuracy
- Strong follow-through
- Lead by example
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.