Job Title: Medical Billing Clerk
Reports To: Clinical Director
Employment Status: Non-Exempt
The Fred and Clara Eckert Foundation for Children is a private operating foundation whose primary charitable purpose is operating Eckert Youth Homes in Williston, North Dakota. Eckert Youth Homes provides quality treatment services which encourage the spiritual, educational, behavioral, emotional, and physical development of children, youth and their families. Eckert's core values are Faith, Integrity, Excellence, and Caring.
The Medical Billing Clerk initiates and maintains the client and insurance company records of the facility for accounts receivable purposes. The maintenance of the client records and the communication with the insurance companies would be in alignment with and promote the mission and values of the organization and would comply with all regulatory requirements.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Maintain communications with Staff.
- Receive clients, set up for intake information, accept payments and field questions related to the patient and /or insurance company records.
- Data entry in patient and insurance records
- Answer phones and coordinate communications with clients, staff, and insurance companies.
- Prepare and bill insurance claims, paper and electronic, as required by each insurance company.
- Maintain and update insurance billing records and contact data including internet usernames and passwords.
- Maintain and update billing procedures as regulations/requirement changes occur.
The Medical Billing Clerk has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
This job is performed in an office setting located in a residential facility. This position routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and filing cabinets.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a part-time position. Days of work are Monday through Friday
- Proficiency with Excel spreadsheets, accounting and billing software (Advanced MD), Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Outlook
- Aptitude in general billing functions and knowledge of basic accounting principles
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information about client services and records in compliance with HIPAA and 42 C.F.R. Part 2 regulations
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information about client credit in compliance with all regulations
- Oral and written communication abilities
- Ability to organize own workload, take initiative, and carry out directives
- Commitment to accuracy and consistency in bookkeeping methods and transparency
- Ability to work with faith communities
- Medical billing classes/certification or four years of experience in Medical Billing with references.
- Accuracy in recording charges, payments, billing files, etc.
- Prepare clear and concise reports with commitment to accuracy and consistency in bookkeeping methods
- Training and understanding of HIPAA Compliance for Health Care Professionals
- Training and understanding in trauma-informed care
- Advanced interpersonal skills to manage crisis situations as well as conduct effective day-to-day interactions within program and service settings
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to a positive and productive team environment
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and be comfortable delivering services via a video conference platform
- Ability to pass an employee physical, criminal background check, and a child abuse and neglect background check
- Possess a valid driver’s license
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Disclaimer. This job description is not a contract. It does not guarantee any person continued employment or any benefits. All employees are employed at-will. That means that either the employee or the employer has the freedom at their will to end the employment whenever they choose for any lawful reason. The Employer has the right in its sole discretion to depart from or change from the responsibilities, duties, and requirements contained in this description without.